Ethernet communication in the field application
Production processes in interlinked plants are often arranged in a linear pattern. This is also called bus cabling or daisy chain. It means that various components are connected in series one after another. The first component is usually the controller in the switch cabinet from where the Ethernet cable is routed to the decentralized I/O systems as well as the sensors and actuators along the plant.
Ethernet cables and cable accessories for this application need to fulfill specific requirements in the place of their application. They may be installed in both protected and non-protected areas. They may be required to be resistant against cleaning agents in food processing, different kinds of oils in metal processing, high/low temperatures etc.
LAPP developed a wide portfolio of Ethernet cables and accessories for all kinds of industrial applications. Our experts are ready to support you with the right product selection.
- The connection from the PLC in the control cabinet to the I/O systems in the field is implemented using copper-based ETHERLINE® cables or patch cables
- In the field, the decentralized connection at the sensor or actuator is made via M12 connectors. These have protection class IP67.
For communication from the control cabinet to the decentralized I/O system, sensor or actuator
- ETHERLINE® PN Cat.6A FLEX FC
- ETHERLINE® TRAY (for the connection from the control cabinet to the first decentralized I/O system or drive)
- ETHERLINE® TRAY Cat.7
- EPIC® DATA RJ45 (in control cabinet)
- EPIC® DATA M12 plug connectors (for the connection to the first decentralized I/O system or the first actuator in the field)
- ETHERLINE® patchcord M12 / M12 (for the connection between two decentralized I/O systems or two actuators in the field)
- UNITRONIC® SENSOR Cordset (for the connection from the decentralized I/O system to sensors in the field)